Stage musical planned around Gloria Estefan, husband
Gloria Estefan and her husband, producer and musician Emilio Estefan Jr., pose outside the Flamingo Las Vegas April 30, 2010, in Las Vegas. / Ethan Miller/Getty
Gloria Estefan and her husband Emilio are hoping the rhythm is going to lead to Broadway.
The duo announced Tuesday that they have teamed up with the Nederlander Organization to try to create a musical based on their lives and take it to the Great White Way.
"We are very excited to share this story, which is based on hope, determination and the belief that with hard work and passion, our dreams can become our reality. Our music has been a true reflection of who we are, where we came from and the journey that has brought us to where we are today," Gloria and Emilio Estefan said in a statement.
Gloria Estefan on Miami, Life
The Estefans were both born in Cuba and together became musical luminaries in Spanish and English, winning Grammy Awards and fans across the U.S. with crossover hits like "The Rhythm is Going To Get You," "Conga" and "Words Get in the Way," in addition to helping the careers of other artists including Shakira, Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony and Jon Secada.
The show is still in its developing stages and organizers have yet to find a writer, director or creative team for the project.
Popular in Entertainment
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 75 Comments
- Music critics believe in Kanye West's "Yeezus"
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"
- "Bachelorette": Desiree lets two lukewarm lovers go
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- Kris Jenner: Kim Kardashian is "thrilled" about baby
- "The Voice": Top three sing for the win