Oscars 2013 to pay tribute to movie musicals
Anne Hathaway as Fantine in "Les Miserables." / Universal Pictures
Movie musicals will take center stage when the Oscars take place in Los Angeles on Feb. 24.
The Academy Awards will pay special tribute to film musicals of the past decade, including this year's best picture nominee, "Les Miserables," as well as 2002's "Chicago," with Catherine Zeta-Jones, and 2006's "Dreamgirls," starring Jennifer Hudson.
"Chicago" scored six honors at the Oscars, including best picture, and Hudson won best supporting actress for "Dreamgirls."
"The musical as a motion picture genre has had a remarkable renaissance in the last decade," said producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.
The Academy Awards, hosted by Seth MacFarlane, will be broadcast live on ABC beginning at 7 p.m. ET.
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 129 Comments
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- "DWTS": Finalists compete for mirror ball trophy
- "The Voice" to feature tribute to tornado victims