Michelle Kwan dishes on her wedding dress
Michelle Kwan attends the Vera Wang runway show during the Spring 2013 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week at The Stage at Lincoln Center on Sept. 11, 2012, in New York. / Getty
Michelle Kwan dishes on her wedding dress in the new issue of People magazine.
The figure skating champion walked down the aisle last weekend donning a Vera Wang gown.
"I wore so many skating dresses designed by her, whole skating shows and everything," Kwan told People. "I have a long relationship with her."
Kwan, 32, married Clay Pell, 31, on Saturday in Providence, R.I. Pell, grandson of late U.S. Senator Claiborne Pell, works on the national security staff at the White House. Kwan, meanwhile, is a public policy envoy with the Department of State.
"She is marrying someone whose family has a political history, and Michelle is living and working in Washington, D.C.," Wang said. "[The dress] had to have a certain dignity and a certain classicism, and I think it was a lot about a new way of looking at tradition."
"The fact that it's got an inordinate amount of handwork in terms of lace is really a tribute to the art of hand-piecing lace," Wang added. "There is a princess-slash-queenly level of sophistication and quiet without sacrificing a lot of detail."
According to The Providence Journal, about 250 guests attended Kwan's wedding, including her figure skating friends Dorothy Hamill, Dick Button and Brian Boitano.
See Kwan's dress here.
Popular in Entertainment
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- "The Hangover III": Critics aren't drunk with excitement
- "Now You See Me" cast talks magic at N.Y. premiere
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards