"Drop Dead Diva" canceled by Lifetime
From left, Faith Prince, Brooke Elliott, Margaret Cho and April Bowlby star in the season four finale of "Drop Dead Diva." / Lifetime
"Drop Dead Diva" won't see another year on Lifetime.
The channel has decided to pull the plug on the series, starring Brooke Elliott and Margaret Cho, after four seasons.
The one-hour comedic drama told the story of a wannabe model who dies in an accident only to find her soul resurfacing in the body of deceased attorney, Jane Bingum, portrayed by Elliot. Joan Rivers, Kim Kardashian, Brandy and Serena Williams were among the guest stars who appeared on the series through the years.
The news comes three months after "Drop Dead Diva" wrapped its fourth season.
Margaret Cho: "I really look like Kim Jong Il"
Last year, Cho, who played legal assistant Teri Lee on the show, told CBSNews.com about what it was like on the set of "Drop Dead Diva."
"We work pretty hard," Cho said. "When you do these one-hour shows, you are essentially making a movie in eight days. And so we really are putting in long hours and it's pretty intense down there. We're outside of Atlanta and it's pretty hot right now. And everybody's so close because we all come from Los Angeles and New York and put into this new environment. And we've really held on to each other, which is really awesome."
Although "Drop Dead Diva" is dead on Lifetime, fans of the series may be in luck. Deadline reports that Sony Pictures TV may shop it around elsewhere.
Popular in Entertainment
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- "The Voice" pays tribute to Oklahoma tornado victims
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner