Elton John and David Furnish welcome second son
Elton John, left, and David Furnish attend the Ninth Annual Elton John AIDS Foundation benefit on Oct. 18, 2010, in New York. / AP
Elton John and David Furnish say they have become parents for a second time.
The couple say they are "overwhelmed with happiness" at the birth of Elijah Joseph Daniel Furnish-John.
John's spokeswoman Fran Curtis confirmed an announcement on the singer's website that the baby was born Friday in Los Angeles to a surrogate mother. The baby weighs 8 pounds, 4 ounces.
John, who is 65, and 50-year-old Furnish are parents to 2-year-old Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John, born in California in December 2010, also through a surrogate mother.
They told Hello! magazine Wednesday that "the birth of our second son completes our family in a most precious and perfect way." John added, "I think it's difficult to be an only child, and to be an only child of someone famous. I want Zachary to have a sibling."
"I know when he goes to school there's going to be an awful lot of pressure, and I know he's going to have people saying, 'You don't have a mummy,'" John said of having a second child. "It's going to happen. We talked about it before we had him. I want someone to be at his side and back him up. We shall see."
John, meanwhile, will be on tour this year, performing in South America before doing a batch of dates in Las Vegas this spring.
Popular in Entertainment
- James Gandolfini dead at 51
- James Gandolfini: 1961-2013 21 Photos
- Watch: Miley Cyrus' trippy "We Can't Stop" music video
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 144 Comments
- Palace sheds some light on Kate's baby plans
- Watch: New "Anchorman 2" trailer
- James Franco blasts "Spider-Man" reboot