Why Lena Dunham thanked Chad Lowe at Golden Globe Awards
Lena Dunham accepts the award for best actress in a TV series, comedy or musical, for "Girls" at the 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 13, 2013, in Beverly Hills, Calif. / Getty
While accepting her Golden Globe Award for best actress in a TV comedy series or musical, Lena Dunham gave a shoutout to Chad Lowe.
Golden Globes 2013 red carpet
Because the "Girls" creator had promised her mother and herself, Dunham said, that if she ever won such an award she wouldn't forget to thank Lowe. Hilary Swank, who was married to Lowe at the time, famously did forget him when she accepted her best actress Oscar in 2000 for ''Boys Don't Cry.''
Golden Globes 2013 show highlights
It took the Golden Globes audience a few seconds to get the joke.
As for Lowe, he took to Twitter to joke: ''You forgot to thank me?! After all we've been through? I'm shocked.'' After his name started to trend on Twitter Sunday night, Lowe wrote: "Now that I'm trending worldwide (finally) does that mean I don't have to give my daughters a bath or change their diapers anymore?"
Popular in Entertainment
- Music critics believe in Kanye West's "Yeezus"
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice"
- Streisand slams treatment of women in Israel 350 Comments
- Chappelle to return with comedy tour
- Justin Bieber behind wheel as car hits man in Hollywood
- "Bachelorette": Desiree lets two lukewarm lovers go
- "Monsters University" premieres in Hollywood 20 Photos