Miss New York wins Miss America crown
Miss New York Mallory Hagan waves after she was crowned Miss America 2013 on Saturday, Jan. 12, 2013, in Las Vegas. / AP Photo/Isaac Brekken
LAS VEGAS A 23-year-old contestant from Brooklyn, N.Y., has won the title of Miss America.
Mallory Hagan won the Las Vegas beauty pageant Saturday night after tap dancing to James Brown's "Get Up Off of That Thing" and answering a question about whether armed guards belong in grade schools by saying we should not fight violence with violence.
Hagan defeated Miss South Carolina Ali Rogers, who took second, and Miss Oklahoma Alicia Clifton, who finished third.
Miss New York is crowned Miss America
Hagan wins a $50,000 college scholarship and gets the crown for one year. Her platform was stopping child sexual abuse.
She is expected to spend her title reign on a nationwide speaking tour and raising money for the Children's Miracle Network, the organization's official charity.
Popular in Entertainment
- James Gandolfini dead at 51
- James Gandolfini: 1961-2013 21 Photos
- Stars pay tribute to James Gandolfini
- Watch: Miley Cyrus' trippy "We Can't Stop" music video
- Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video
- Tony Soprano: His most memorable lines
- James Franco blasts "Spider-Man" reboot