Obsessed Madonna fan gets probation for resisting arrest
Madonna performs during her concert in St. Petersburg, Russia, Aug. 9, 2012. / AP
A former firefighter with a crush on Madonna has been sentenced to three years' probation for resisting arrest outside the singer's New York City apartment building.
Robert Linhart was convicted in November after being twice arrested in September 2010.
Police say the then-59-year-old Linhart was nabbed after he parked his SUV outside the Material Girl's former Manhattan apartment and spray-painted love notes on poster boards. He returned a few days later and was arrested again.
His attorney had argued that it was no crime to adore Madonna, the singer of pop hits including "Like a Virgin" who performed at last year's Super Bowl halftime game.
The judge on Wednesday also ordered Linhart to attend anger management sessions.
Attorney Lawrence LaBrew told The New York Daily News that Linhart is appealing the conviction.
Madonna, meanwhile, recently wrapped up her 2012 tour, which ended up being the year's highest-grossing outing with $296.1 million, according to Pollstar.
Popular in Entertainment
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 86 Comments
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- "The Voice": Top three sing for the win
- Music critics believe in Kanye West's "Yeezus"
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- "Bachelorette": Desiree lets two lukewarm lovers go
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"
- Selma Blair abruptly exits "Anger Management"