Paparazzo killed while shooting Justin Bieber's Ferrari
Justin Bieber performs onstage during Power 96.1's Jingle Ball 2012 at the Philips Arena on Dec. 12, 2012, in Atlanta. / Ben Rose/Getty Images for Jingle Ball 2012
Updated 1:47 p.m. ET
A paparazzo was hit by a car and killed on Tuesday after snapping photos of Justin Bieber's Ferrari in Los Angeles, police said.
Los Angeles police Officer James Stoughton says the man died at a hospital on Tuesday evening. Stoughton says Bieber, 18, was not in the sports car at the time.
Sgt. Rudy Lopez told the Los Angeles Times that the pop star's friend was driving the car when it was pulled over for a traffic stop. It was parked on a busy street when the photographer arrived.
Police say the man was struck by a car as he went back across the street to return to his own car, the Times added.
Stoughton says no charges are expected against the motorist who hit the man.
In a statement obtained by E! News, Bieber said: "While I was not present nor directly involved with this tragic accident, my thoughts and prayers are with the family of the victim. Hopefully this tragedy will finally inspire meaningful legislation and whatever other necessary steps to protect the lives and safety of celebrities, police officers, innocent public bystanders and the photographers themselves."
Popular in Entertainment
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"
- "The Voice" pays tribute to Oklahoma tornado victims
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner