Hundreds honor Ravi Shankar in California
A prayer offering by Dr. Nandakumar of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan opens the program at Self Realization Fellowship grounds for the Ravi Shankar Memorial in Encinitas, Calif. on Dec. 20, 2012. / FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP/Getty Images)
Friends and family gathered to celebrate the life of legendary sitar player Ravi Shankar at a public memorial service near his San Diego-area home.
Ravi Shankar: 1920-2012
Ravi Shankar Memorial
The musician was remembered Thursday as an unfailingly generous teacher with a gentle spirit and sense of humor whose music fostered understanding between East and West.
Conductor Zubin Mehta said he felt like a "little crumb" listening to Shankar play. Olivia Harrison said Shankar helped a young George Harrison achieve a more meaningful life.
Ravi Shankar's daughter, Norah Jones, on dad's "genius"
Shankar's daughters, singer Norah Jones and Grammy-nominated sitarist Anoushka Shankar, were in the audience at the Self-Realization Fellowship center in Encinitas, the oceanfront suburb where the musician lived for the last two decades.
Shankar died last week at age 92.
Popular in Entertainment
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- Brad Pitt surprises fans at "World War Z" screening
- "The Hangover III": Critics aren't drunk with excitement
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- "Now You See Me" cast talks magic at N.Y. premiere
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Paul McCartney writes in support of Pussy Riot
- How to tie a bow tie Play Video