Olivia Culpo hailed as Miss Universe in her Rhode Island hometown
Miss USA Olivia Culpo, left, adjusts her tiara after being crowned the new Miss Universe as Miss Universe 2011, Leila Lopes of Angola, right, looks on during the Miss Universe competition on Dec. 19, 2012, in Las Vegas. / AP
What does a mayor give to someone who already has the keys to his city?
Miss USA crowned Miss Universe 2012
In the case of Miss Universe Olivia Culpo, Cranston (Rhode Island) Mayor Allan Fung says the 20-year-old beauty queen can have a second key or anything else that she wants.
That's because "she is the center of the universe," Fung said of the Boston University student who beat out 88 pageant contenders from around the world to claim the Miss Universe title Wednesday night in Las Vegas.
Miss Universe 2012 Prelims
Fung called Culpo's win "a feel good moment" for the city, state and nation. It is the first time since 1997 that a Miss USA took home the Miss Universe title.
Culpo was given the key to her hometown of Cranston in June after she became the first Miss Rhode Island to win the Miss USA pageant.
Miss USA 2012
Culpo, who says Rhode Island is "where it all started," thanked city residents for their support.
An accomplished cellist, Culpo comes from a family of musicians. She first learned the cello in second grade and has performed at Symphony Hall in Boston and Carnegie Hall in New York, among other venues.
Popular in Entertainment
- Brad Pitt surprises fans at "World War Z" screening
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"
- Jewel opens up about portraying June Carter Cash
- How to tie a bow tie Play Video
- Paul McCartney writes in support of Pussy Riot