Miss Universe competition goes down to the wire
Miss Universe 2012 Prelims
In addition to taking part in the preliminary competitions, the women also took part in promotions and did some sightseeing.
Judges used preliminary competitions in the evening gown and bathing suit categories to whittle down the finalists to 16.
A closely guarded secret, the finalists' names were being announced at the start of the pageant, broadcast live on NBC. Giuliana Rancic and Andy Cohen are co-hosting, and the musical group Train is performing.
Celebrity judges, led by pageant owner Donald Trump, are "The Voice" mentor Cee Lo Green, San Francisco Giants MVP Pablo Sandoval, TV host Nigel Barker, actor singer Diego Boneta; reality TV star Scott Disick; Bravo stylist Brad Goreski, Iron Chef Morimoto, 2010 Miss Universe Ximena Navarrete of Mexico, Olympic volleyball champion Kerri Walsh Jennings and reality TV star Lisa Vanderpump.
Miss Universe 2011
Six of the last 10 titleholders have come from Latin countries, including back-to back wins by the reigning Miss Venezuela.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Bynes' allegations of sexual assault under investigation
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Stone Temple Pilots sue its former singer
- Colin Farrell talks "Epic" new role Play Video