"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey": Reviews are in
From left, James Nesbitt as Bofur, Martin Freman(front) as Bilbo Baggins, Sephen Hunter as Bombur, Graham McTavish as Dwalin, William Kircher as Bifur, and Jed Brophy as Nori in a scene from the movie. / James Fisher
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is now out in theaters and critics' reviews are mixed on Peter Jackson's action-adventure.
"The Hobbit" premieres in New York
The film, which is the first of "The Hobbit" trilogy, follows Bilbo Baggins' (Martin Freeman) journey to the Lonley Mountain to reclaim the treasure that was stolen from him by the dragon Smaug.
- "The Hobbit": Peter Jackson talks Ian McKellen and the next two films
- Andy Serkis: The actor inside a character's skin
In addition to Freeman, "The Hobbit" stars Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood and Andy Serkis.
"The Hobbit" received a 69 percent on review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes.
"The Hobbit" premieres in New Zealand
Here's what critics are saying about the film:
Peter Travers of The Rolling Stone: "Part One of director Peter Jackson's planned film trilogy of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit forces audiences to run an obstacle course before the fun kicks in."
Mick LaSalle of San Francisco Chronicle: "If you loved the earlier films, these are moments you will hold on to, but they're very few, and they're not enough."
Joe Morgenstern of Wall Street Journal :"An overlong adventure enlivened by wonders."
A.O. Scott of New York Times: "Tolkien's inventive, episodic tale of a modest homebody on a dangerous journey has been turned into an overscale and plodding spectacle."
Peter Jackson, Ian McKellen reunite for "The Hobbit"
Kenneth Turan of The Los Angeles Times: 'From an artistic point of view, star Mary Pickford famously said, "It would have been more logical if silent pictures had grown out of the talking instead of the other way around.' Likewise, it would have been better all around if Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' films had not come before his new, three-part version of 'The Hobbit.'"
Popular in Entertainment
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice"
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- Selma Blair abruptly exits "Anger Management"
- "The Voice" finale recap: Season 4 crowns a winner
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- "The Voice": Top three sing for the win
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"
- Music critics believe in Kanye West's "Yeezus"