Paul McCartney to be musical guest on "Saturday Night Live," Martin Short to host
Paul McCartney performs at "12-12-12: The Concert for Sandy Relief" at Madison Square Garden in New York on Dec. 12, 2012. / Dave Allocca,AP Photo/Starpix
"Saturday Night Live" is welcoming two big names to this week's special Christmas show.
Martin Short will host the episode, with Paul McCartney serving as musical guest.
"I think he's from Europe," Short said, tongue-in-cheek, at the mention of McCartney's name. "People say he's got potential!"
Short, now 62, was an "SNL" regular during the 1984-85 season before returning as guest host in 1986 and 1996 and making cameo appearances in 2005 and 2006.
It's the fourth appearance as musical guest for McCartney, 70, who also performed Wednesday at the "12-12-12" concert in New York for Superstorm Sandy relief.
How did "SNL" happen to book this pair of favorites?
"The Christmas show has to have an emotional component," explained "SNL" executive producer Lorne Michaels. "Besides, we have a long break following that show, when people are going to have lots of time to talk about it. So it's always better to leave on a high note."
Short said he didn't anticipate butterflies when returning to his old haunts.
"Once you've done 'Saturday Night Live,' it becomes part of your extended life and you remember it forever," he said.
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 122 Comments
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- At last: "Arrested" is reborn Sunday on Netflix
- Brad Pitt: "I've haven't known life to be any happier"
- "DWTS": Finalists compete for mirror ball trophy