"Casablanca" piano hoisted onto auction block
Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in a scene from the classic film "Casablanca." / AP Photo/Warner Bros., File
The piano used for the song "As Times Goes By" in the classic 1942 film "Casablanca" is being put up for auction at Sotheby's in New York.
The instrument will be up for sale on Dec. 14, and the auction house estimates it'll fetch up to $1.2 million.
It's being offered by a Japanese collector on the film's 70th anniversary. The collector purchased the movie prop at a Sotheby's auction in 1988 for $154,000.
Humphrey Bogart played Rick Blaine in the Oscar-winning World War II love story, opposite Ingrid Bergman's character, Ilsa Lund.
In a famous flashback scene, Rick and Ilsa lean on the piano at a Paris bistro. Sam, played by Dooley Wilson, plays and sings.
They toast as Rick says: "Here's looking at you, kid."
Popular in Entertainment
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 109 Comments
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- CBS takes "Mike & Molly" tornado-themed finale off air
- Runaway mom begs for kids' forgiveness on Dr. Phil
- Toby Keith: Moore, Oklahoma "will persevere"