Spain's King Juan Carlos recovering from hip surgery
Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia of Spain and their daughters, Princess Leonor, left, and Princess Sofia, visit King Juan Carlos of Spain at USP San Jose Hospital on Nov. 25, 2012, in Madrid. / Getty
King Juan Carlos of Spain is recovering at a hospital in Madrid from hip surgery he underwent Friday.
The king arrived at Quiron San Jose Hospital in a chauffeured car early Friday and joked with a large group of journalists that had gathered at the entrance. The surgery on his left hip was intended to give him greater mobility, the palace said.
The 74-year-old king broke his right hip earlier this year during a controversial safari in Botswana.
The Spanish Royal Family
On Sunday afternoon, the monarch was visited by his wife, Queen Sofia, his son and heir, Prince Felipe, daughter-in-law Princess Letizia, and granddaughters Princess Leonor and Princess Sofia.
According to Hello! magazine, the prince said he had found his father to be "very well," adding "he is phenomenal." The prince said he hoped the family visit would encourage a swift recovery.
Spain's Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, also visited Juan Carlos and "found him well and animated."
Popular in Entertainment
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 46 Photos
- Taylor Swift dominates Billboard Music Awards
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner
- Friends pay tribute to George Jones at funeral
- Justin Bieber booed at Canadian football game