"Survivor" contestant Lisa Whelchel says she has West Nile virus
Lisa Whelchel arrives at CBS 2012 fall premiere party on Sept. 18, 2012, in West Hollywood, Calif. / Getty
Actress and CBS reality show "Survivor" contestant Lisa Whelchel says she's been diagnosed with West Nile virus.
The 49-year-old former star of the "The Facts of Life" television show used Facebook and Twitter to announce her illness.
Whelchel, who lives in the Dallas, Texas suburb of Flower Mound, said a doctor called her Tuesday with blood test results. She says she's "fine, just tired" and expects to take a year to fully recover.
She later added, "I've been very touched by all the sweet tweets. Other than tired, I'm feeling fine & expecting a full recovery. So grateful for you. Thanks."
Whelchel is competing on this year's "Survivor" season, which was taped in the Philippines. She has not said where or when she believes she contracted the West Nile virus.
Popular in Entertainment
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 50 Photos
- Taylor Swift dominates Billboard Music Awards
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- "Star Trek Into Darkness" wins weekend box office
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- "Inside Llewyn Davis" premieres at Cannes