Liza Minnelli to guest-star on "Smash"
Liza Minnelli performs at the opening night of Hampton Court Palace Festival 2012 on June 14, 2012, in London. / Getty
Liza Minnelli is going to make a cameo as herself on the second season of "Smash."
The award-winning singer-actress, 66, will appear in an episode titled "The Surprise Party" that is set to air in the spring, NBC announced Tuesday.
She'll also sing an original song, written by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, alongside series star Christian Borle, who won a Tony Award earlier this year for his turn in "Peter and the Starcatcher." He plays Broadway composer Tom Levitt on the show.
"Liza Minnelli is the essence of a multi-talented, singular show business sensation, particularly for her extraordinary contributions to Broadway," NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt said in a statement. "So what could be more fitting than to have her legendary talent on a show that celebrates a world Liza has dazzled for decades? I had the pleasure of working with Liza when we restored her landmark television special 'Liza With a Z' at Showtime, and to see her artistry up close and personal is a thing to behold."
"Smash" will return to NBC on Feb. 5 at 9 p.m. ET.
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 129 Comments
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- At last: "Arrested" is reborn Sunday on Netflix
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- "DWTS": Finalists compete for mirror ball trophy