Judy Garland's "Oz" dress lures $480K at auction
From left, Bert Lahr as the Cowardly Lion, Ray Bolger as the Scarecrow, Judy Garland as Dorothy and Jack Haley as the Tin Woodman in a scene from "The Wizard of Oz" / AP Photo/Warner Bros.
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. The now-faded blue gingham dress Judy Garland wore in "The Wizard of Oz" has sold for $480,000.
Auction house Julien's Auctions says the pinafore fetched the highest price of any item during a two-day auction of Hollywood memorabilia that attracted bids from around the world. The auction ended Saturday in Beverly Hills, Calif.
While several identical dresses were made for the production, the dress is the only version seen in the film and the only complete original dress to survive, Julien's says.
Steve McQueen's racing jacket sold for $50,000, as did a purple skirt worn by Marilyn Monroe while filming "River of No Return" in Canada. Julie Andrews' "Sound of Music dress" brought $38,400.
Sunglasses worn by Jean Reno in "Leon" went for $8,320, while Johnny Depp's shades fetched $3,250.
Bidders also snapped up pieces of royal wedding cakes. Prince William and Kate Middleton's cake sold for $7,500 while Prince Charles and Princess Diana's cake sold for $1,375.
Popular in Entertainment
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- Brad Pitt surprises fans at "World War Z" screening
- "The Hangover III": Critics aren't drunk with excitement
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- "Now You See Me" cast talks magic at N.Y. premiere
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Paul McCartney writes in support of Pussy Riot
- How to tie a bow tie Play Video