Sean Penn visits Bolivia, gets multiple requests from president
Bolivia's President Evo Morales, right, and Sean Penn pose for photographs before participating in a friendly soccer match in La Paz, Bolivia, Oct. 30, 2012. / AP
It's not clear whether Sean Penn knew of the missions he'd be asked to assume by Bolivia's President Evo Morales ahead of his visit to the country.
Sean Penn visits Bolivia
Cabinet chief Juan Ramon Quintana told reporters after Tuesday's meeting in La Paz that Morales asked Penn to defend the chewing of coca leaf before the United Nations, lobby Chile to restore Bolivia's long-lost access to the Pacific Ocean and help persuade the United States to extradite a former Bolivian president.
The Oscar-winning actor, 52, is already a goodwill ambassador for Haiti, where he has won respect for his post-earthquake charity work.
Sean Penn plays soccer with Bolivian president
Asked by reporters about the missions he'd been asked to assume, Penn answered curtly.
"I am ambassador of Haiti," he said.
Penn later showed up for the start of a soccer match with Morales.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Colin Farrell talks "Epic" new role Play Video
- Stone Temple Pilots sue its former singer
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss