Gene Hackman strikes homeless man, police say
Copyright 2012 Robert Mora / Getty Images
ET has confirmed that retired actor Gene Hackman was involved in a physical altercation with a homeless man on Tuesday afternoon.
According to Captain Aric Wheeler of the Santa Fe, New Mexico, Police Department, the 82-year-old iconic actor was walking with his wife, Betsy, in downtown Santa Fe when he was approached by a homeless man whom they have come in contact with in the past and have allegedly given food and money to.
In an unfortunate turn of events, Hackman and the homeless man became involved in a verbal argument during which the man called Hackman's wife a derogatory name.
The situation then purportedly escalated, as the man then approached the couple in a threatening manor. Hackman felt endangered by the man's move and reportedly responded by hitting him.
Local police were then called to scene and spoke to both the involved parties but made no arrests or citations.
The Santa Fe Police Department said "it was a simple battery case and it appears Mr. Hackman was acting in self-defense because he was concerned for his safety."
While Hackman hasn't acted in a film since 2004, the Oscar-winning actor will narrate an upcoming Martin Scorsese project entitled The Wolf of Wall Street.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss
- Something old, new, borrowed and...zombie 9 Photos
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer