Octavia Spencer to pen books for middle schoolers
Octavia Spencer arrives at the 8th annual GSLEN Respect Awards at Beverly Hills Hotel on Oct. 5, 2012, in Beverly Hills, Calif. / Getty
Octavia Spencer is looking to make some magic in the book world.
The actress, who won an Oscar for her role in "The Help," has a deal with Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers for a pair of detective novels for middle-school students.
Simon & Schuster announced Thursday that the first book, "Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective: The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit," will come out next fall.
In a statement, Spencer said that she had been inspired by such mystery series as Nancy Drew and Encyclopedia Brown and hoped to give kids the same "sense of magic."
Spencer, 42, has also appeared in such films as "Flypaper" and the upcoming "Smashed."
Simon & Schuster and CBS are owned by the same parent company.
Popular in Entertainment
- Weddings around the world 16 Photos
- "Seinfeld": Where are they now? 15 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- "American Idol" winner announced
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale
- Runaway mom tells Dr. Phil: "They're better off without me"
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance