Harvey Weinstein and Michael Flatley to launch World Dance Awards
Harvey Weinstein arrives at the Burberry Spring Summer 2013 womenswear show on Sept. 17, 2012, in London. / Getty
Harvey Weinstein is known for making movies, but his latest project will be on television.
The producer is teaming up with dancer/choreographer Michael Flatley for the launch of a new awards show, the World Dance Awards, which will honor the stars of the dancing world.
Weinstein and Flatley announced the project Tuesday at the international television event MIPCOM in Cannes, France, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Weinstein said the World Dance Awards will be a "big red carpet gala" like the Golden Globes, Oscars or Grammys, THR reports.
Flatley called the project a "dream come true."
"We owe this to the millions and millions of kids around the world who dance," he said, according to the Guardian. He also cited inspiration from dancers like Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly and Michael Jackson.
No date has been set yet for the awards, but Weinstein reportedly said it will be after next year's Oscars and Grammys, likely around April.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss
- Something old, new, borrowed and...zombie 9 Photos
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer