Keith Urban gives his view of the Nicki Minaj-Mariah Carey dustup
Keith Urban attends the "American Idol" Judges And Host Photo Call at Jazz at Lincoln Center on Sept. 16, 2012, in New York. / Ilya S. Savenok/Getty Images
"American Idol" has started taping its 12th season, and Keith Urban says the judges are all trying to get a feel for things.
"We're all passionate people and we're learning a new dance and we're all a work in progress," said Urban on Wednesday at the New York Film Festival gala honoring his wife, Nicole Kidman. He likened his role as peacemaker on "Idol" to that of the United Nations.
- Nicki Minaj, Mariah Carey feud on "American Idol": Ryan Seacrest weighs in
- Nicki Minaj, Mariah Carey feud at "American Idol" audition
Rumors of drama between fellow judges Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey began to swirl as soon as the new panel was announced. A blurry web video released Tuesday by TMZ shows what appears to be an argument between Minaj and Carey, spurring on gossip of discontent.
But Urban insisted the group, which also includes veteran judge Randy Jackson, is "getting along." The new season of the Fox singing competition premieres in January.
Celebrity TV judges
In the web video, Urban, between the two women, is seen raising his hands in defeat next to a seemingly furious Minaj, who is shouting obscenities. A composed Carey is heard saying, "Why do I have a 3-year-old sitting around me?"
When asked what it feels like to be stationed between the dueling divas, Urban cracked a wry smile.
"Best seat in the house," he said.
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 110 Comments
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 50 Photos
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- First look: Jennifer Lawrence in "X-Men: Days of Future Past"
- "Mad Men" recap: 10 best moments