Nicki Minaj, Mariah Carey feud on "American Idol": Ryan Seacrest weighs in
From left, Randy Jackson, Mariah Carey, Ryan Seacrest, Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban of "American Idol." / Fox
Ryan Seacrest admits things got intense during an "American Idol" taping on Tuesday when an argument erupted between judges Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey - but he says that's just what the show needs.
Minaj was caught on video unleashing a tirade on Carey during an auditions stop in Charlotte, N.C. Amid a dispute over a contestant, the rapper announced that she was "not [expletive] putting up with her [expletive] highness over there."
Another new judge, Keith Urban, was in the unenviable position of sitting between the two of them.
Celebrity TV judges
On his radio show, Seacrest said "Idol" needs some passionate debate.
"It did get intense," he said. "We want that. We want them to be on this panel together. This is a good team, a great team, to go out and look for the next American Idol ... the feedback that they give is very good."
"American Idol" is still the nation's most popular show despite a dramatic fall-off in ratings last season that led to three new judges joining Randy Jackson. The show's new season premieres in January.
A Fox representative said Wednesday the network has no comment on its feuding judges.
Popular in Entertainment
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 110 Comments
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 50 Photos
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- Runaway mom begs for kids' forgiveness on Dr. Phil
- First look: Jennifer Lawrence in "X-Men: Days of Future Past"