"RuPaul's Drag Race" star Antoine Ashley dies
Sahara Davenport attends Logo's "RuPaul Drag Race" premiere party on Jan. 18, 2012, in New York. / Getty
Antoine Ashley, who was known as Sahara Davenport on Logo's reality show "RuPaul's Drag Race," has died at the age of 27.
The network issued a statement via Facebook saying, "Logo is profoundly saddened by the passing of Antoine Ashley who fans around the world knew and loved as Sahara Davenport. He was an amazing artist and entertainer who'll be deeply missed by his Logo family. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family, especially his boyfriend Karl, in their time of need."
Ashley was on the reality competition show in 2010, during its second season. After the show, Ashley went on to release a single, "Go Off," which reached no. 35 on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs chart.
RuPaul mourned Ashley's death on Twitter Tuesday morning.
Shocked & heartbroken over @saharadavenport. Never occurred to me that we'd ever lose one of my girls. I see them as immortal-- RuPaul (@RuPaul) October 2, 2012
Ashley's boyfriend, Karl Westerberg, was also a contestant on the show during season three as Manila Luzon. He took to Twitter as well to express his feelings about Ashley's death.
I love him so much.-- Manila Luzon (@manilaluzon) October 1, 2012
The cause of death is currently unknown.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Something old, new, borrowed and...zombie 9 Photos
- "Arrested Development" returns: Will you binge-watch?
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer