Ben Vereen files for divorce from wife of 36 years
Ben Vereen in June 2011 / File,AP Photo/Charles Sykes
(AP) LOS ANGELES Tony Award-winning actor Ben Vereen has filed for divorce from his wife of 36 years.
Court records in Los Angeles show Vereen filed the petition on Thursday, citing irreconcilable differences. The actor-dancer married wife Nancy Bruner Vereen in July 1976, although his filing states the pair separated in March.
The 65-year-old won a best actor in a musical Tony Award in 1973 for his role in "Pippin," and he appeared in numerous films and television series. His acting credits vary from a role in the miniseries "Roots" and a guest stint on "How I Met Your Mother" to a Golden Globe-nominated performance in the film "Funny Lady."
Vereen is asking a court to terminate his estranged wife's ability to collect spousal support.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Stone Temple Pilots sue its former singer
- Colin Farrell talks "Epic" new role Play Video
- "Arrested Development" returns: Will you binge-watch?