McFarlane "Spider-Man" cover sold for $657,250
This image, provided by Heritage Auctions, shows original cover art for "The Amazing Spider-Man" No. 328 by artist Todd McFarlane. / AP Photo/Heritage Auctions
(AP) PHILADELPHIA - Artist Todd McFarlane's original cover art for "The Amazing Spider-Man" No. 328 has sold for a record $657,250 at auction, just one among several pieces from the 1990s that went for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The McFarlane cover, which shows Spider-Man gut-punching the Hulk, was part of a collection of original art owned Martin Shamus, a Long Island, N.Y.-based comics and memorabilia shop owner.
McFarlane drew several titles for Marvel Comics in the 1990s and then left to develop his own character, "Spawn," and form Image Comics with other artists and writers.
The cover was among several sold by Heritage Auctions, and also included McFarlane's cover for "Spider-Man" No. 1, which was bought for $358,500.
Popular in Entertainment
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- Brad Pitt surprises fans at "World War Z" screening
- "The Hangover III": Critics aren't drunk with excitement
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- "Now You See Me" cast talks magic at N.Y. premiere
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Paul McCartney writes in support of Pussy Riot
- How to tie a bow tie Play Video