McFarlane "Spider-Man" cover sold for $657,250
This image, provided by Heritage Auctions, shows original cover art for "The Amazing Spider-Man" No. 328 by artist Todd McFarlane. / AP Photo/Heritage Auctions
(AP) PHILADELPHIA - Artist Todd McFarlane's original cover art for "The Amazing Spider-Man" No. 328 has sold for a record $657,250 at auction, just one among several pieces from the 1990s that went for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The McFarlane cover, which shows Spider-Man gut-punching the Hulk, was part of a collection of original art owned Martin Shamus, a Long Island, N.Y.-based comics and memorabilia shop owner.
McFarlane drew several titles for Marvel Comics in the 1990s and then left to develop his own character, "Spawn," and form Image Comics with other artists and writers.
The cover was among several sold by Heritage Auctions, and also included McFarlane's cover for "Spider-Man" No. 1, which was bought for $358,500.
Popular in Entertainment
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" to series for 2013-2014 season
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- Beatles' lyrics headed for British Library
- "Now You See Me" cast talks magic at N.Y. premiere