Documents: R. Kelly owes nearly $5M in taxes
R. Kelly performs at at Arise Made In Africa Spring 2012 Designer Collective at Mercedes Benz NY Fashion Week Afterparty at Jumeirah Essex House on September 15, 2011 in New York City. / Photo by Donna Ward/Getty Images for Arise Made in Africa
(AP) CHICAGO - R&B star R. Kelly, who last year saw his suburban Chicago mansion fall into foreclosure, now has the Internal Revenue Service at his door.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports documents held by the Cook County Recorder of Deeds show the recording artist owes the IRS nearly $5 million in unpaid taxes.
Kelly owes the money for taxes dating back as far as 2005. He paid $2.6 million in back taxes in 2008 and another $1 million last year, but the records show he still owes the federal government more than $4.8 million.
A message seeking comment was left Thursday for Kelly spokesman Allan Mayer. The Sun-Times reports Mayer said last year that Kelly didn't have any serious financial troubles.
The Grammy-winning singer was acquitted on child pornography charges in 2008.
Popular in Entertainment
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 46 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- Friends pay tribute to George Jones at funeral
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner