Tom Gabel, front-man of punk rock band Against Me!, announces sex change
Musician Tom Gabel of Against Me! performs at the Greek Theatre on August 6, 2010 in Los Angeles, California. / Getty
(AP) NEW YORK - Tom Gabel, the lead singer of punk rock band Against Me!, says he's becoming a woman.
The 31-year-old tells Rolling Stone that as a kid he felt disconnected from his body and has a condition called gender dysphoria. He plans to take hormones and undergo electrolysis. He also is considering gender reassignment surgery.
Says Gabel: "Growing up, my experience with transsexualism was nothing but shame."
Gabel says his new name will be Laura Jane Grace. He says he's not attracted to men and will still be married to his wife. They have a 2-year-old daughter.
Against Me! is best known for the song "Thrash Unreal." The group will hit the road for its tour with The Cult later this month.
The June issue of Rolling Stone hits newsstands Friday.
Popular in Entertainment
- "Seinfeld": Where are they now? 15 Photos
- Weddings around the world 16 Photos
- "American Idol" winner announced
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale
- Runaway mom tells Dr. Phil: "They're better off without me"
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance