Marilyn Monroe dress fetches $504K
Marilyn Monroe in a costume from the film "River of No Return" (1954). / Julien's Auctions
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - The dress Marilyn Monroe wore in "River of No Return" has sold to a private buyer for $504,000.
Monroe wore the green velour dress designed by Travilla while she sang "I'm Gonna File My Claim," in the 1954 Western in which she portrayed Kay Weston, a gambler's wife.
Darren Julien, president and CEO of Julien's Auctions, said Saturday that the dress was sold at an auction in China.
It sold for $72,000.
A black velvet and white taffeta gown worn by Princess Diana in December 1985 sold for $92,250.
Also sold: A pair of custom-made black spandex, fingerless forearm gloves with covered thumbs, silver metal buttons and buckle for Michael Jackson, worn during filming of his music video "Bad" ($31,250); A pair of gold metal framed sunglasses with reflective lenses worn by Jackson during a performance of The Jacksons' 1984 Victory Tour ($13,750); and a retractable-blade special effects sword by Johnny Depp in "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" ($12,500).
This past summer the famous white dress Monroe wore in "The Seven Year Itch" was sold for $4.6 million.
Popular in Entertainment
- Brad Pitt surprises fans at "World War Z" screening
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"
- Jewel opens up about portraying June Carter Cash
- How to tie a bow tie Play Video
- Paul McCartney writes in support of Pussy Riot