Sony Japan stops production of PlayStation 2
The PlayStation 2 video game console. / Sony
PlayStation 2 fans can mark this as the beginning of the end of an era for the popular video game console.
Sony Computer Entertainment of Japan has ceased production of the PlayStation 2, the Agence France-Presse reports. However, games will continue to be produced for the console.
The PlayStation 2 is widely considered a success. According to the AFP the console is the second best selling console of all time with more than 150 million units sold worldwide since 2000.
News of Sony Japan's decision to halt production of the PlayStation 2 only fuels rumors that Sony is preparing to launch its next-generation console, dubbed the "PlayStation 4."
Sony's most current console, the PlayStation 3, launched in the U.S. in November 2006. According to IGN, the Sony reported 70 million total units sold in November 2012.
Popular in SciTech
- Watch: NASA captures Okla. tornado from space Play Video
- Weird pirate ant comes with an "eye patch"
- The 7 weirdest things made by 3D printing
- Microsoft announces Xbox One
- Amazon proposes a colossal biospherelike Seattle campus
- Microsoft announces Xbox One 16 Photos
- Storms that spawned deadly Oklahoma tornadoes seen from space (video)
- Xbox One Press Conference