"Gangnam Style" first video to hit 1B YouTube views
The wildly popular "Gangnam Style" music video by Psy has gone where no YouTube video has gone before.
Earlier today, the official video surged past 1 billion views, making it the first clip on the site to ever hit that mark, and the latest in a long line of feats for the popular video.
Last month, "Gangnam Style" surpassed pop star Justin Bieber's "Baby" video to become the most popular YouTube upload of all time. Bieber's video, which at the time had 805 million views, was beaten in just five months. As of this writing, "Baby" has 813 million video views.
"Gangnam Style" has also earned a Guinness World Records title as the most-liked video in YouTube history with over two million digital thumbs up.
Still, the march to 1 billion could have come sooner, suggesting the video's popularity may be ebbing. Last month, marketing blog Wordstream reported that the video was being viewed 4,000 times each minute, leading it to predict that it would hit 1 billion views by December 11. It missed that mark by 10 days.
As if you needed help finding the video, here it is for those who just can't quite get enough:
This article originally appeared on CNET.
Popular in SciTech
- Oops! The five greatest scientific blunders
- Study: Extensive glacial melting on Mount Everest
- 40 years later: Why the Endangered Species Act still matters
- Beam this up: Creating the sounds of "Star Trek"
- Apple's next iPhone may be coming in June
- Danish teenager makes rare Viking find
- Google security: you (still) are the weakest link
- Thousands online proclaim: Jahar Tsarnaev is innocent