Surface tablet is most popular Windows 8 device
Microsoft's Surface RT tablet is the most popular single Windows 8/RT device, according to ad-based statistics.
"Surface is already the most popular single device running Windows 8/RT with 11 percent of the overall 'market,'" according to AdDuplex, a Windows ad-serving business.
While hard numbers for Microsoft's tablet are still a mystery, analysts have indicated that sales at Microsoft stores were relatively strong, at least initially.
And online, the $499 model
Microsoft Surface $499 model 'out of stock' online
Earlier this week, however, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer
Ballmer says Microsoft Surface sales off to 'modest' start
Looking at other devices, the Hewlett-Packard Pavilion g6 laptop was a distant second with 2 percent, though other HP laptop models showed up in the data, giving it a total of about five percent of the models that registered on the chart, according to the AdDuplex's numbers.
And HP was the largest brand among Windows 8/RT devices, with 17 percent. Microsoft was second with 11 percent (cited above), Dell was third with 10 percent, and Acer fourth with 9 percent.
And Windows Phone devices? Nokia's Lumia 710 was No. 1 with 22 percent. Other Lumia phones, like the Lumia 800, took the largest chunk of the remaining share.
The Windows Phone 7.10 operating system dominated with 96 percent, while the just-announced Windows Phone 8 had four percent.
Popular in SciTech
- Oops! The five greatest scientific blunders
- Danish teenager makes rare Viking find
- 40 years later: Why the Endangered Species Act still matters
- Apple's next iPhone may be coming in June
- Beam this up: Creating the sounds of "Star Trek"
- Google security: you (still) are the weakest link
- Thousands online proclaim: Jahar Tsarnaev is innocent
- Amazing ESO photo shows Orion's hidden fiery ribbon