Apple iPad mini, fourth generation iPad goes on sale
Apple's iPad mini and fourth generation iPad went on sale Friday and, while the typical lines formed, the frenzy that normally accompanies the tech giant's product launches were toned down.
Apple's iPad mini is a smaller, cheaper version of the iPad. The mini tablet features at 7.9-inch screen with 1,024 x 768 display resolution, front- and rear-facing cameras and 1080p HD video recording. The device starts at $329.
The fourth generation iPad features an A6X processor, faster Wi-Fi and Lightening connector. The iPad 2 starts at $399 and fourth generation iPad at $499.
According to Reuters, about 50 people waited in line at the Apple store in Sydney, Australia. Lines for previous product launches have spanned blocks. Similar disparities between previous launches with the iPad mini have occurred in Tokyo, Seoul, Amsterdam and London. Anywhere from 50 to 100 people were reportedly in line in those locations.
In New York City, two Apple stores were closed in lower Manhattan due to the city's conditions in Superstorm Sandy's wake. Currently, part of the Big Apple's subway system is closed. Apple's SoHo and West 14th street stores are located in areas without electricity, leaving three Apple store locations open: Upper West Side, Grand Central Station and Fifth Avenue.
CNET reports that the first person in line at Apple's Fifth Avenue store was 21-year-old Andrew Li. The Queens, N.Y. resident arrived at about 10 p.m. Thursday night.
- Apple announces fourth generation iPad, iPad Mini
- Fourth generation Apple iPad with Wi-Fi pre-orders sell out
Shorter lines don't necessarily mean the iPad mini launch is not successful. Pre-orders for the device sold out within a week's time. Same goes for the fourth generation iPad Wi-Fi only models.
The iPad mini's size positions the tablet to compete with Amazon's Kindle Fire HD, Google's Nexus 7 and Barnes & Nobles' Nook HD+ tablets.
Apple announced the fourth generation iPad and iPad mini at a press event on Oct. 23 in San Jose, Calif.
Popular in SciTech
- iPhone 5S and low-cost iPhone said to be multicolored
- Android 4.3 pops up in the wild after skipping Google I/O
- Apple's next iPhone may be coming in June
- NYC tech tour: Foursquare, BuzzFeed, MakerBot Play Video
- Delta 4 rocket boosts military comsat into orbit
- Can a floating robot save a polluted canal?
- Alternatives to Google Reader
- New Flickr comes with 1 terabyte free storage