Watch: Spectacular video of Australia's night sky
When it comes to star-gazing, not all locations are created equal. Nowhere is this more true than the Australian outback - incredibly remote and far from civilization. Except, that is, for the Australian SKA Pathfinder Radio Telescope (ASKAP). As this stylish video shows, ASKAP may have one of the best views of the night sky on the planet.
Photographer Alex Cherney, who made this video, explains: "Murchison Radio-astronomy observatory is one of the most radio-quiet places in the world and not many people come by. This footage may be quite unique because after the telescope testing phase is completed, any electronic equipment including cameras may not be used near the telescope."
The ASKAP system is comprised of 36 antennae working together to peer deep into space. But as this stunning video shows, when you're in the Australian outback, space doesn't seem very far at all.
Popular in SciTech
- Last telegram ever to be sent July 14
- NASA unveils plans to capture asteroids
- Solar plane lands at Dulles Airport Play Video
- Chinese supercomputer named world's fastest
- Airborne laser reveals hidden city in Cambodia
- Was there a rape joke at Microsoft's Xbox One event?
- Valentina Tereshkova: First woman in space 13 Photos
- Alternatives to Google Reader