Apple suppliers start production on iPad Mini, report says
The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that Apple suppliers have started production on a smaller tablet computer, which is currently dubbed the iPad Mini.
Citing "people with knowledge of the situation," the Journal reports that the iPad Mini will have a 7.85-inch liquid crystal display, but not the Retina Display that is currently on the new iPads.
According to the Journal's sources, LG Display and AU Optronics began production on the LCD screens last month.
- What would Apple include in an iPad Mini?
- Apple iPad Mini Oct. 17 event imminent?
- iPad Mini: Apple pressured to go down market
Fortune reported Monday that Apple will send an invitation out on Oct. 10 for an Oct. 17 event, where the tech giant will announce a smaller iPad. Those rumors align with a report in August by AllThingsD saying that Apple would announce the iPad Mini in October.
The Japanese blog Macotakara also reported rumors that production has already started at Foxconn in Brazil.
Several sources speculate that the look and feel of an iPad Mini will be just like an iPad, but smaller. Most journalists and analyst believe the iPad Mini will have a 7.85-inch display, LTE support, front and rear camera, iOS6 and a retail price between $249 and $299.
While Apple dominates the full-sized tablet market, scores of competitors have cropped up with smaller, cheaper alternative tablet computers. Last fall, Amazon and Barnes & Noble announced 7-inch tablets the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet, respectively. The tablets were priced between $199 and $249. In June, Google announced the Nexus 7 Tablet, which is also priced at $199.
Amazon and Barnes & Noble announced updates to the tablets last month. The Kindle Fire HD+ and Nook HD+ are both 9-inch tablets with high-definition displays that run on the Android operating system, which start between $269 and $299.
Popular in SciTech
- iPhone 5S and low-cost iPhone said to be multicolored
- Amazon proposes a colossal biospherelike Seattle campus
- Weird pirate ant comes with an "eye patch"
- Jennifer Lopez to open Verizon cellphone stores
- Apple's next iPhone may be coming in June
- The 7 weirdest things made by 3D printing
- Alternatives to Google Reader
- Watch: Biggest solar storm of the year Play Video