McDonalds introduces the "Egg White Delight" yolk-free Egg McMuffin
The new "Egg White Delight" is made up of egg whites, whole grain muffins, Canadian bacon and white cheddar cheese. / McDonalds.com
NEW YORK There's a new addition to the McDonald's menu that will provide another option for people who want to have a "healthier" fast food experience.
McDonald's is rolling out a yolk-free version of its Egg McMuffin this spring. The world's biggest hamburger chain had previously said the "Egg White Delight" would be made with a whole grain muffin, Canadian bacon and white cheddar cheese, clocking in at 260 calories. A regular Egg McMuffin has 300.
According to the McDonald's webpage, the egg whites will be grilled and will be sandwiched by 8 grams of whole grains. The Canadian bacon is extra lean as well.
The Oak, Brook, Ill.-based chain announced that it was testing the breakfast sandwich last year. It was revealed as part of the company's announcement that it would begin posting calorie counts on menu nationwide ahead of a new federal regulation.
The move was also intended to address criticism that fast-food chains such as McDonald's Corp. contribute to rising obesity rates and appeal to customers looking for healthier menu options.
- McDonald's getting rid of items from menu
- Fish McBites fail to spark McDonald's sales
- McDonald's to post calorie counts at restaurants nationwide
Danya Proud, a spokeswoman for McDonald's, said people will be able to request egg whites for other breakfast sandwiches too.
The launch date was reported earlier by The Daily Meal, a website that covers food news.
Popular in Health
- Bed sharing may increase risk of SIDS by five times
- "Clouds" singer known for viral hit dies from osteosarcoma
- Miami face-chewing victim still recovering one year later
- Disney pulls show that makes fun of gluten-free child
- Health risks remain for Okla. tornado responders, victims
- Medical factors add to urgency of tornado rescues
- Skin cancer self-exam: What to look for (PHOTOS)
- Environmental Working Group's top sunscreens for 2013 12 Photos