Wegmans recalls packaged salad amid E. coli cases
ROCHESTER, N.Y. Wegmans is recalling its organic spinach and spring mix salads for possible E. coli bacteria amid 16 cases of sickened people in western New York.
The Rochester-based grocery chain says the recall covers 5-ounce and 11-ounce packages sold from Oct. 14 to Thursday.
Health officials tell the Democrat and Chronicle of Rochester there are 16 confirmed cases of E. coli in four counties that likely are associated with the product, with most of the cases in the Rochester area. Four people were hospitalized and released.
Wegmans says consumers who still have the product in their refrigerators should throw the salad out and visit a store service desk for a full refund.
Wegmans Food Markets has 81 stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland and Massachusetts.
Popular in Health
- Environmental Working Group's top sunscreens for 2013 12 Photos
- Which sunscreens are recommended for 2013?
- Disney pulls show that makes fun of gluten-free child
- Skin cancer self-exam: What to look for (PHOTOS)
- Handbags may contain more germs than average toilet flush
- Ketamine shown to help fight treatment-resistant depression
- Doctor: Gel manicures a potential skin cancer risk
- FDA raises concerns about experimental sleep aid suvorexant