Meningitis outbreak toll: 23 deaths
New figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show a rise in the number of deaths attributable to an outbreak of fungal meningitis
According to data released by the CDC on Saturday, 284 cases (including three joint infections) and 23 deaths are tied to the outbreak.
Cases have been reported in 16 states: Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
An outbreak of fungal meningitis has been linked to steroid shots for back pain. The medication, made by a specialty pharmacy in Massachusetts, has been recalled.
Popular in Health
- FDA: 7 infections linked to Tenn. compounding pharmacy
- Surgeons remove 4-pound hairball from tiger 10 Photos
- Teens guiltiest of underestimating calories in fast food
- Texas baby born after her mother was technically dead
- Once obese dachshund gets surgery to remove excess skin
- Drinking sugary drinks daily linked to kidney stones
- How to get in shape for your wedding
- Skin cancer self-exam: What to look for (PHOTOS)