E. coli at North Carolina fair sickens 37
SHELBY, N.C. North Carolina health officials say one child has died and 37 others have been sickened in an E. coli outbreak tied to a county fair.
The state Department of Health and Human Services said Monday that 22 children and 16 adults who attended the Cleveland County Fair have gotten sick. Seven people have needed hospital treatment.
Spokeswoman Julie Henry says officials haven't identified the specific source of the bacteria.
CBS Affiliate WBTV in Charlotte reports 2-year-old Gage Lafevers died of the infection last Friday.
Gaston County health director Chris Dobbins says three people are on dialysis and four developed a type of kidney failure.
The nine-day fair ended Oct. 7. Health officials say symptoms of E. coli infection could come up to 10 days after exposure and can include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea and vomiting.
E. coli: 5 life-saving facts you must know
Dorothea Wyant, health director of Cleveland County, told WBTV that investigators have interviewed up to 75 people trying to pinpoint the source of the contamination, and don't think food is to blame.
Wyant told WBTV, "It's frustrating and it's confusing because you want answers and you want quick answers so can stop it and tell what it is".
Popular in Health
- A test for throat cancer caused by HPV?
- Facebook organ donor status option upped number of donors
- Deep vein thrombosis: Don't ignore these silent symptoms
- Skin cancer self-exam: What to look for (PHOTOS)
- Scientists grow new organs on scaffolding 12 Photos
- Air pollution exposure while pregnant linked to autism risk
- Japanese "eyeball licking" trend carries blindness risk
- Eating red meat may boost Type 2 diabetes risk