Meningitis outbreak death toll rises to 7
ATLANTA Health officials say the death toll in a rare fungal meningitis outbreak across several states has risen to seven.
In updated figures posted to its website Saturday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the outbreak has spread to more than 60 people across nine states. The latest cases have been confirmed in Minnesota and Ohio.
The outbreak has been linked a steroid produced by a specialty pharmacy in Massachusetts. The steroid has been recalled, and health officials have been scrambling to notify anyone who may have been injected with it.
The New England Compounding Center has said it is cooperating with health investigators to determine the source of the infections.
Popular in Health
- Shocking study: Math skills improved by electric stimulus
- Flesh-eating disease victim gets bionic hands
- Controversial update to psychiatry manual, DSM-5, arrives
- Skin cancer self-exam: What to look for (PHOTOS)
- Handbags may contain more germs than average toilet flush
- Doctor: Gel manicures a potential skin cancer risk
- CDC: One in five U.S. kids has mental health disorder
- Depression may double stroke risk for middle-aged women