Iconic Las Vegas sign goes pink for breast cancer
The iconic "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign is outlined in pink lightbulbs in honor of breast cancer awareness Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012. / Sam Morris,AP Photo/Las Vegas Sun
LAS VEGASBreast Cancer Awareness Month has hit the Las Vegas Strip.
Clark County commissioners are turning the iconic "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign pink to mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Officials say they're installing pink light bulbs on the sign in place of the usual yellow ones, and plan to have elected leaders flip the switch on Thursday morning. The sign will be pink throughout the month of October.
Clark County Commissioner Mary Beth Scow says the county is also offering free breast cancer exams Oct. 11 at University Medical Center's Cast Clinic as a way to join the fight against the disease.
Popular in Health
- Environmental Working Group's top sunscreens for 2013 12 Photos
- Which sunscreens are recommended for 2013?
- Skin cancer self-exam: What to look for (PHOTOS)
- Handbags may contain more germs than average toilet flush
- Disney pulls show that makes fun of gluten-free child
- Ketamine shown to help fight treatment-resistant depression
- Doctor: Gel manicures a potential skin cancer risk
- FDA raises concerns about experimental sleep aid suvorexant