Man stoned to death by Somali rebels for sexual act
MOGADISHU, Somalia A militant official and a Somali resident say al-Shabab fighters have stoned to death a man for carrying out a homosexual sex act.
The resident, Yusuf Abdi, said the group buried a blindfolded man to his waist last Friday and threw stones at him until he died.
An al-Shabab official said one of its judges sentenced the man to death because he forced a 13-year-old boy to have sex with him. The al-Shabab member insisted he not be named.
Al-Shabab implements a conservative and austere brand of Islam in areas it controls.
Sheikh Ibrahim Ali, a Somali religious leader in Mogadishu, said homosexuality is controversial inside Islam. One strict reading of Islamic law, he said, is that a married man who engages in a homosexual act should be killed.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Photos of the Week 21 Photos
- U.K. police announce new leads in missing girl case
- U.N. panel: Sanctions delaying NKorea nuke program
- Canadian earthquake jolts cities, felt in U.S.
- Russia strikes back after expelling alleged U.S. spy
- Drone technology myths, facts and future feats
- $1 million in jewelry stolen near Cannes film festival
- Woman describes Berlusconi's "bunga bunga" parties