Israel on alert as locusts hit neighboring Egypt
JERUSALEM Israel is on a locust alert as swarms of the destructive bugs descend on neighboring Egypt ahead of the Passover holiday.
Israel's Agriculture Ministry set up an emergency hotline Monday and is asking Israelis to be vigilant in reporting locust sightings to prevent an outbreak.
Locusts have a devastating effect on agriculture by quickly stripping crops.
Swarms of locusts have descended on Egypt, raising fears they could spread to Israel.
The locust alert comes ahead of the Passover festival, which recounts the biblical story of the Jewish exodus from Egypt. According to the Bible, a plague of locusts was one of 10 plagues God imposed on Egyptians for enslaving and abusing ancient Hebrews.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Iran hangs alleged U.S., Israeli spies
- Photos of the Week 21 Photos
- North Korea fires short-range missiles for second day
- Two imprisoned over killing Malcolm X's grandson
- Assad: Syria transition talks are internal matter
- Afghanistan to ask India for military aid
- S. Korea: N. Korea launches short-range missiles
- Plane catches fire on Moscow runway Play Video