Carnival float fire kills four in Brazil
SAO PAULO A fire on a Carnival float has killed four people and injured five in the Brazilian port city of Santos.
A fire department official says the float caught fire shortly after the Sangue Jovem samba school ended its parade at dawn on Tuesday. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.
He says three of the victims were pushing the float. A woman watching the parade was the fourth. The condition of the five injured was not immediately known.
The official says that witnesses reported the float caught fire after striking a power line.
Santos Mayor Paulo Alexandre Barbosa suspended the event with three more schools left to parade.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Toronto mayor: I don't smoke crack cocaine
- 2 men from diverted Pakistani flight into U.K. arrested
- Photos of the week 22 Photos
- Graphic video: Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack Play Video
- Bangladesh slum life 13 Photos
- Muslim hard-liners ID suspect in London attack
- Former sex slaves: Osaka mayor should quit
- Deadly car bombing at aid group's house in Kabul