Malala Yousufzai, teen girl shot by Taliban, discharged from U.K. hospital
Malala Yousufzai, the 15-year-old girl who was shot at close range in the head by a Taliban gunman in Pakistan, reads a book at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, England. / AP Photo/Queen Elizabeth Hospital
LONDON Malala Yousafzai, the teenage Pakistani education activist shot in the head by the Taliban, was discharged from a British hospital Friday after undergoing skull reconstruction and receiving a cochlear implant to restore her hearing.
The 15-year-old had been released for a few weeks in January but re-entered Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital to undergo the latest procedures last weekend. The hospital said Malala is "making good recovery" and will now continue her rehabilitation at her family's temporary home in Birmingham.
Malala was shot by a Taliban gunman on Oct. 9 while on her way home from school in northwestern Pakistan's Swat Valley. The militant group said it targeted her because she promoted "Western thinking." Malala had been an outspoken critic of the Taliban's opposition to educating girls.
The teen was airlifted to Britain from Pakistan to receive specialized medical care and protection against further Taliban threats. She is expected to remain in the U.K. for some time; her father, Ziauddin, has secured a post with the Pakistani consulate in Birmingham.
- Watch: Malala speaks out after Taliban attack
- Hospital: Malala underwent two successful operations
- Still fighting: Malala set for cranioplasty
The shooting sparked outrage in Pakistan and many other countries, and Malala's story increased the global attention for the struggle for women's rights in her homeland. In a sign of her impact, the teen made the shortlist for Time magazine's "Person of the Year" in 2012.
In a video statement taped before her latest surgeries, Malala said she was "getting better, day by day" and would continue to campaign for girls' education.
"I want to serve. I want to serve the people. I want every girl, every child, to be educated," she said, speaking clearly but with the left side of her face appearing rigid.
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 19 Photos
- Celebration and devotion in India 14 Photos
- Rare twin birth for gorilla in Dutch zoo Play Video
- John Paul II a step closer to sainthood
- Nameplate to blame for halt in Afghan-Taliban talks
- Ex-Chinese official executed for child rapes, state media reports
- Rare twin gorillas born in Dutch zoo
- Brazil protesters flood Sao Paulo streets for 2nd night