India tests nuclear-capable missile
NEW DELHI An Indian news report says India has successfully tested a medium-range, nuclear-capable ballistic missile fired from an underwater platform in the Bay of Bengal.
The Press Trust of India news agency says the missile would soon be ready for deployment on platforms, including a nuclear submarine.
India's Defense Ministry spokesman was not available for comment.
Pallava Bagla, a defense expert, said Sunday's test off the east coast was 14th in the series with a range of 435 miles.
It would complete India's nuclear triad the capability to launch missiles from land, air and below the sea.
India and its nuclear-armed rival Pakistan routinely test different versions of their missiles. The countries have fought three wars since they gained independence from Britain in 1947.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Boat hijack stokes tension between N. Korea, China
- China probes rice tainted with cancer-causing cadmium
- Hezbollah suffers heavy losses fighting inside Syria
- Lebanon reportedly stopping Syria refugees at border
- Israel and Syria exchange fire on Golan Heights
- Syria activists: 31 Hezbollah fighters killed in Qusair
- Russia shows accused U.S. spy heading home
- Some Swedish youth riot over police shooting death