Japan confirms 2 more dead in Algeria attack
Algerian firemen carry a coffin containing a person killed during the gas facility hostage situation at the morgue in Ain Amenas, Algeria, Jan. 21, 2013. / AP
TOKYO Two more Japanese citizens have been confirmed to have died during a hostage crisis last week in Algeria, the Japanese government confirmed, bringing the total number to nine. One Japanese worker remains missing.
The victims worked for a Japanese engineering company, JGC Corp., at a natural gas plant in the Sahara Desert. Seven other Japanese workers for the company survived the hostage-taking.
Islamist militants seized the gas field and held scores of foreigners from a number of countries hostage for four days until Algerian special forces stormed the plant Saturday. Algeria's prime minister has said that at least 37 hostages and 29 militants were killed.
- Algeria scours Sahara for missing foreigners after attack
- U.S.: 3 Americans total died in Algeria attack
- In Algeria attack, terrorists were most accurate
Miller: Algeria attack group "doubling down"
"Using violence is not forgivable whatever the cause," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said Wednesday evening after confirming that officials found the bodies of the two Japanese among a group of unidentified victims. "We strongly condemn terrorist activities."
"It is extremely regrettable," Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters Thursday.
Japanese news reports said a government airplane carrying the seven survivors and nine bodies is scheduled to return to Japan as early as Friday morning.
Mitsunobu Fuchida, the older brother of a victim, arrived at Haneda airport on Thursday morning to await the return of his brother's body.
"I just want to see him. I want to see him quickly," he said.
Authorities said they were unable to confirm the status of one missing Japanese national, as well as four foreign employees of JGC.
At a news conference early Thursday, JGC spokesman Takeshi Endo said recovery efforts for the missing continue.
"Our company will do all it can to ascertain the status of these five people," Endo said.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Mexico's drug war 20 Photos
- U.K. official: London attack suspects probed before
- Graphic video: Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack Play Video
- Tokyo's rockabilly scene 16 Photos
- Muslim hard-liners ID suspect in London attack
- Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack
- People cling to car in "sidewalk skiing" stunt Play Video
- London soldier slaying homegrown Islamic extremism?