Somali militants claim French hostage executed
CBS/AP Graphics Bank
MOGADISHU, Somalia Somalia's most dangerous militant group says it has killed a French hostage that French military forces tried to rescue last weekend.
Al-Shabab said in a Twitter posting Thursday that the agent, codenamed Denis Allex, was executed Wednesday evening Somalia time.
French officials have said they believe Allex was killed the night of the raid. Allex, a French intelligence agent, was taken by the militants in July 2009 and had been held ever since.
- Somali militants post photo of slain French commando
- Obama: U.S. assisted France's failed Somali rescue
- French commando killed in botched Somalia raid
A French raid Friday night and early Saturday failed to rescue him, and resulted in the deaths of two French troops and 17 Somalis, French officials say.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Photos of the Week 21 Photos
- Plane catches fire landing in Moscow
- S. Korea: N. Korea launches short-range missiles
- U.K. police announce new leads in missing girl case
- Plane catches fire on Moscow runway Play Video
- Drone technology myths, facts and future feats
- Assad: Syria transition talks are internal matter
- Dramatic video appears to show 747 crash in Afghanistan